Friday, September 11, 2009

The Language of Free Time

Why is it that we "take" vacations? Why don't we have a better verb for that? Come to think of it, we "take" breaks, too. It's as if, somehow, these things don't belong to us, and must be stolen. Wouldn't better verbs be "use" or "enjoy" or even "rock" or "dive into"? As in: "I'm going to rock my break right now.", and "Next week, I dive into my vacation.".



I say that we need to address the language of free time. See? There it is again! Our vacations, (clearly, the most valuable of all times) are called "free time", as though they were worthless. It's all wrong. Are they considered "free time" because they are the only weeks out of the year that we don't sell by the hour to our employers? And what about those of us who are paid for our vacations? We are "taking" something, getting paid for it, and still calling it "free"!



Who has possession of our vacations and breaks in the first place, that we must "take" them for ourselves? Is it the same person from whom we must also "take" our pees/whizzes/leaks? And why is he holding onto them? It seems like a weird collection of things to be withholding, if you ask me.

4 comments:

  1. I think Canadians don't value their down time as much as European countries do. Many of us work and go around and around in circles to keep ahead. While those abroad take the time to enjoy the little things in life. Like, an afternoon nap, dinner with family and placing less value on materialistic things. Along the way to the develop the "new world" we definitely lost our way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is brilliant!! I knew you had a lot on your mind!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you know what? Everyone on Facebook comments about how they have time off, or the weekend off, or the day off...and then are so sad when they post that they are returning to work. We all feel the same way...why do we do it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frequently, I find that I'm really disappointed in myself after a weekend off, because I failed to make the most of it... I either didn't get enough done, or I didn't have enough fun. I'm never satisfied. It's human nature, I suppose!
    P.S. Thanks for the encouragement, by the way!

    ReplyDelete